There are several reasons to consider obtaining fume extraction and air purification for use in Technical Schools. Not only does it improve student and instructor health and safety, but it also enhances the school’s image regarding student welfare, which may attract more applicants. Other benefits include:
- Assistance in meeting government regulations and standards regarding exposure limits (i.e. The Occupational Safety and Health Organization- OSHA, NIOSH).
- Prepping students to become more safety-oriented professionals when they graduate.
- Protecting the classroom environment from contaminants and unnecessary debris.
- Ductless and recirculating fume extraction systems have numerous advantages, including mobility, environmental friendliness, minimal maintenance, and cost efficiency (these systems don’t require make-up air and don’t exhaust your paid-for heated or cooled air outdoors).
Examples of Technical Schools that would benefit from fume extraction and air purification technology:
- Welding Schools– the particles and fumes that are released during welding applications can be extremely hazardous when inhaled. Sentry Air Systems offers a variety of Welding Fume Extractors that can be used for many applications, including MIG welding, TIG welding, stick welding, maintenance welding, production welding, and more. Our most popular unit is the Model 300 Welding Fume Extractor; however, technical schools often choose to utilize welding fume extractors that are built for multiple operators.
|Model 400 Welding Fume Extractor pictured above|
- Electronic Engineering Training Schools- Some Electronics Engineering Curriculum involve circuit board soldering. The fumes released from solder (i.e. lead-based solder, rosin-based flux) can cause ill-effects on the respiratory system of users and has the potential to lead to sensitization or asthma. The inhalation of lead-based solder fume can adversely affect “the brain, central nervous system, circulatory system, reproductive system, kidneys, and muscles.”  For more information on the hazards of solder fume, visit this blog entry. Sentry Air’s most popular line of solder fume extractors is the 100 Series, but many other options are available.
|Model 100 Stainless Steel Solder Fume Extractor pictured above|
- Beauty Schools- With the recent news regarding questionable hair-straightening techniques (i.e. Brazilian Blowout), members of this industry are becoming more aware of the chemical ingredients that make up the products they’re using. Visit www.bktformaldehyde.com/ for more information on fume extractors for brazilian keratin and other hair-straightening processes, and visit this blog for more information on Nail Salon air quality information.
|The Model 300 BKT Fume Extractor is pictured above|
- Auto Repair Schools- Several hazardous applications are performed during auto repair training: welding, spray painting operations, sanding, heavy solvent use, and much more. All of these applications can emit harmful vapors, fume, and particulate and have the potential to create long-term health effects. Read this blog entry for more information regarding fume extraction for auto body applications.
- Medical Training Facilities [i.e. Dental, Veterinary, Pharmaceutical]- Health and safety is of the utmost importance in the Healthcare Industry. Members of this industry are often required to work with various medicines, hormones, anesthetic agents, and other substances that have the potential to emit hazardous airborne fume and particulate. For instance, Pharmacists often utilize Sentry Air Systems Pharmaceutical Containment Hoods in order to contain powders and hormones. Another example are Veterinarian Techs, who have used Sentry Air’s Ductless Fume Hoods to contain anesthetics like Isoflurane.
 Occupational Safety & Health Administration, “Welding Health Hazards.” http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtraining/htmlfiles/weldhlth.html